Bribase's X-55 joystick Mod
Finished article here
Like many, I've found that the mechanism of the X-55 wasn't designed properly. The main issue was that when transitioning from small movements to big ones the stick tended to slip because the cone that fits into the gimbal mount wasn't shaped properly. I tried everything from aftermarket springs to sex toys
(I actually used a cock ring instead of a Tracey Cox for a while!) to try and get the stick working right.
I finally came across This mod
and decided to create my own version. Instead of springs I realised that latex bands would work much better because they could easily be adjusted to my liking and didn't need complicated fittings to hold them in place.
I finally came up with this solution
using five STL printed parts and some latex straps (similar to those used for slingshots it's this one
Fitting the mod is relatively easy (and completely reversible), the main collar fits over the stem and the joystick screws down to hold the entire assembly in place, then each "peg" should fit into the holes in the corners of the X55. Then you can slide the cone (which is the source of the design problems in the first place) down into the the gimbal to make sure that the tension on the latex matches on all four sides. If you're not tone deaf like me you could even pluck the latex to check that the tones they make all match! Don't be afraid to put lots of tension on the stick, STL nylon is strong and unlikely to break. However, I did wrap a bicycle inner tube around the entire thing to hold the pegs in place and reduce the stress on them. The latex is terminated with simple bag ties which allows them to be adjusted easily. The finished article is here
, notice as well the auxilliary control nubbin on the china hat and the riser for the heel of my hand, lots of mods to follow.
This is definitely my solution going forward. The gimbal now has a smooth transition from small movements to large ones, after fitting it rarely means needing to readjust it and I was suprised that there is no noticeable centering problem after calibration, even without a deadzone! The only problem is that the 3D printed parts are a little expensive (it cost me £40 or so). DO NOT opt for FFF printing to save money, it'll just break.
If you'd like to give this mod a try I've uploaded the files here
(mediafire link). There's the autocad file and an STL file ready to print. Bear in mind that the parts aren't nested properly so I'll leave you or the 3D printers to do that. Keep in mind as well that this version was adjusted a little since my mod to optimise the design, I had to sand a few surfaces to get it fitting right. Hopefully this version should be fitted with none of those problems but check over it before you get it printed.
submitted by Bribase
I modeled the Hearthstone mobile app logo and had it 3d printed
submitted by jellypickles