Hip replacement submitted by
is highly successful surgery in which portions of the hip joint are replaced with implants. Most patients have a total hip replacement, but for some others, a partial replacement (hemi arthroplasty) may be appropriate. Common symptoms before surgery :-
Severe hip pain that is not relieved by medication and that interferes with your work, sleep or everyday activity.
Hip stiffness that restricts motion and makes it difficult to walk. Risks in Hip replacement :-
Risks and complications in hip replacement are similar to those associated with all joint replacements. They can include infection, dislocation, limb length inequality, loosening, impingement, osteolysis, metal sensitivity, nerve palsy, chronic pain and death. Weight loss surgery before a hip replacement does not appear to change outcomes. Infection :-
Infection is one of the most common causes for revision of a total hip replacement, along with loosening and dislocation. Risk factors for infection include obesity, diabetes, smoking, immunosuppressive medications or diseases, and history of infection. Types of Hip replacement :-
1) Total hip replacement is the most common hip surgery. It uses artificial components to replace the entire hip structure. During the procedure, surgeons insert a stem into the patient’s femur, or thighbone, for stability. They replace the head of the femur with a ball and replace the natural socket in the hip joint with an artificial cup.
2) Partial hip replacement removes and replaces the patient’s femoral head, which is the ball at the top of the femur, or thighbone. It does not replace the socket. A ceramic or metal ball is attached to the top of a stem that’s inserted into the hollow centre of the femur. Surgeons typically perform this surgery to repair certain types of hip fractures.
3) Hip resurfacing helps relieve pain from cartilage loss. A surgeon trims damage from the natural bone ball at the top of the thighbone. He or she then resurfaces it with a smooth metal covering. The surgeon also lines the natural bone socket of the hip with a metal lining or shell. Problems after hip surgery can include:-
- Loosening of implant.
- Bone growth beyond normal edges of the hip .
- Blood clots- Clots can form in your leg veins after surgery. This can be dangerous because a piece of a clot can break off and travel to your lung, heart or, rarely, your brain. Your doctor may prescribe blood-thinning medications to reduce this risk.
- Infection- Infections can occur at the site of your incision and in the deeper tissue near your new hip. Most infections are treated with antibiotics, but a major infection near your prosthesis might require surgery to remove and replace the prosthesis.
- Fracture- During surgery, healthy portions of your hip joint might fracture. Sometimes the fractures are small enough to heal on their own, but larger fractures might need to be stabilized with wires, screws, and possibly a metal plate or bone grafts.
- Dislocation- Certain positions can cause the ball of your new joint to come out of the socket, particularly in the first few months after surgery. If the hip dislocates, your doctor might fit you with a brace to keep the hip in the correct position. If your hip keeps dislocating, surgery is often required to stabilize it.
Dr. Sunil Rajan is considered to be a pioneer in the field of Orthopaedic surgeon in Indore
, especially for bilateral joint replacement of knee, shoulder and hip joints, and have introduced technologies like computer assisted joint replacement surgery in India. Over the last 20 years Dr. Rajan has put his expertise to work transforming more than 10,000 lines through successful knee transplants. If are you searching the Best knee replacement surgeon in Indore
, come to the Dr rajan's knee clinic. Book an Appointment today call us at 9826200015 for more information. Request an Appointment / General Inquiry :- https://www.drsunilrajan.com/contactus.htm
Please go through our social media :
like our page to know more about joint replacement surgeon. Facebook :- https://www.facebook.com/drrajankneeclinic/
Please do follow on Instagram Instagram :- https://www.instagram.com/drsunil_rajan/ To More Post: - Precautionary measures after the knee replacement or total hip replacement surgery