Open Letter to Jonathan Thomas (OpenShot Creator & Lead Developer)
Thursday 21st May 2020
Thank you for your free video editing software. I am a business and technology strategist, and after using OpenShot version 2.5.1 since my emailed suggestions in April, spending a month in the reddit forum, and the past 2 weeks repeating the same answers daily, may I recommend the following:
- Reddit Sticky
- Reddit Moderation
- Easy Fixes
1. Reddit Sticky
The same questions are repeated and answered daily, I posted the same ‘text’ answer 3 times in one day. I think the forum needs a ‘Read This Before Posting’ type sticky that includes the following:
- FAQ – Answers to common questions e.g. View, Text, Audio Crackling/Sync and Performance.
- Search – Detailed instructions on how to search OpenShot reddit and GitHub.
- Tutorials – Listed with others tutorial playlists linked until better longer tutorials are created using a script and explaining in detail critical points like Profiles and First-Frame/Keyframes.
- Guide – Currently short, swaps from glossing over to technical specifics, and you have said an expansion is overdue. Should be written to a novice audience, and the Call for Volunteers - github.com/OpenShot/openshot-qt/issues/2989 – WOT replaced with simple instructions.
2. Reddit Moderation
Unclear who the development and moderation teams are and the timeliness of listed information.
- Webpage – openshot.org/developers – lists Contributors to “OpenShot 1.x”.
- Reddit – Moderators – Their last posts were 3 months ago by Support mikelacsa, and 12 month ago by yourself jonOomph in a technical support capacity.
So now users volunteer our free time to repeatedly answer the same questions. The team could be active in the forum, to be made aware of these issues, and motivated to apply these suggestions.
3. Easy Fixes
In the 2.5 Release Notes comments you outlined version 3.0 - “Now my attention is turning towards OpenShot 3.0, and what I hope will be a huge UI overhaul (for the better). More modern UI, more updated look, and many new animation and keyframe related improvements”. Instead I recommend a version 2.6 is necessary first, to address the common complaints with the following easy fixes: View
- Menu – Menu > View > Views could be changed to Windows Layouts.
- Tutorial – The View menu could be included in the Built-in Tutorial.
- Menu – Menu > Title could be changed to Titles and sub-menus, to match their dialog boxes.
- Tutorial – The Titles menu could be included in the Built-in Tutorial.
Additional enhancement suggestions:
- Text – 3 new simple Text titles could be added, with 4 Lines, and as currently all centred:
· Text (Left Justified)
· Text (Centred)
· Text (Right Justified)
- Function – Titles could be moved from the Menu into a new Project Files Titles function tab, with Titles listed before Animated Titles, and clicking them opens their respective dialog box.
Edit and Right-click
- Right-click – The clip right-click Preset Menu list could be added to the Edit menu.
Additional Preset Menu suggestions - Several already suggested with a focus on moving functionality away from the technical Properties window into the target markets acclaimed user-friendly interface:
- Animate – Could be given a new title to not be confused with all keyframe animations.
- Opacity – A common function, could be added with settings of 100%, 75%, 50% and 25%.
- Rotate – Flip Horizontally, another common function, could be added to Rotate options.
- Volume – Options to increase the volume (this may currently cause audio crackling issues).
Often complaints of poor performance, could implement the following Preferences suggestions:
- Preview – That is misleading, it is not a Preview but a Profile setting. Many forum posts and tutorials also recommend changing the Profile to a lower resolution, when if using a Scale of None that will create unforeseen results and you state “It is best practice to always switch to your target profile before you begin editing”. Instead could replace that with an actual Video Preview preview quality setting, offering Final (100%), High (75%), Good (50%) or Draft (25%).
- Performance – Hardware Acceleration complaints with Linux and still buggy and with limited support currently for Windows and Mac, and can only recommend they could all be fixed.
- Cache – Cache Limit’s small default of 250 is a reported cause and could consider options.
Export - Video Settings
- Size – The large file size issues could be due to the high default Video Setting of 15 Mb/s Bit Rate for all profiles, hidden in the Advanced tab, and in what is unclear is a configurable tab.
The Low/Med/High Bit Rates could instead be set according and suited to each Profile, e.g. QCIF 15 fps 176x144 does not need a 15.00 Mb/s Bit Rate. That Video Settings can still be used to set a preferred Bit Rate, and could include a User Guide explanation of how to Set custom Bitrate/Quality as default
- Sections – The Advanced tab also has the option to Export sections using Frames.
But with no obvious way to see frame numbers in Video Preview it was my first suggestion, with a proposed enhancement posted within the week – Add Timeline frame number display to Preview
, and until then I created a tutorial - reddit.com/OpenShot/comments/g32m05/exporting_sections_and_frame_numbers
I like the simple interface, support FOSS and free causes, and hate waste, and have been compiling a Review & Recommendations report to volunteer my expertise since my first emailed suggestions a month ago. However, over that time I have discovered far more concerning and fundamental flaws:
- Mute & Visibility – A range of core functionality and cool effects were available a decade ago, e.g. muting tracks - openshot.org/blog/2009/05/05/50-posts-65-commits-and-1-yea - and chroma hold effect - openshot.org/blog/2010/09/21/its-about-time-openshot-121-released/.
- Broken Fade Transition – Another email concern and not a recent discovery but a supporting forum post - reddit.com/OpenShot/comments/gggwkx/how_to_fade_out_images_and_titles – and included here as this is a foundation element of video editing.
I understand is a small FOSS team, but I find it difficult to reconcile these core video editing issues, the simple fixes outlined, the many interface and other issues emailed, the still compiling and yet to be presented issues, and the regular GitHub bugs, with OpenShot’s 11 years of development.
Is not within the scope of this letter, but I suspect better project management is needed, when many GitHub threads are confused about the code, the different systems, and often find more bugs.
This recent post - reddit.com/OpenShot/comments/gd11idear_open_shot_community
– raises a concern for new novice users who appreciating the “award winning” simple and easy to use interface then donate money when may be unaware of its flaws. After 11 years - openshot.org/donations
- I think you really do owe everyone that huge 3.0 overhaul
, and maybe an interim 2.6 built with these quick easy fixes to help inform new users and stop wasting volunteers time in the forum.
Update – Daily Builds – Audio Fix – Version 2.6 I updated the letter, conclusion and made these following additions considering recent posts and events, the main discovery that recent Daily Builds may have fixed the audio crackling previously a key section.
A recent spate of odd behaviours mentions Daily Builds and are being suggested to fix audio issues. Last week I tested a Daily Build, and when stretching a jpg image it shrunk to nothing. I tested the next release, and the latest 64-bit May 11, 2020, 7:12 a.m. release, and both have this issue. Posted here - reddit.com/OpenShot/comments/gfwl57/why_are_the_jpg_files_that_i_have_uploaded_being/
. Daily Build - Image Stretch
I did however load my problematic project in the latest build and audio crackling is gone! Awesome! That is a big one, but that accompanying new error supports my development concern and need for oversight and thorough testing. I would recommend suspending Daily Builds until a 2.6 is built. 13th May 2020 - Audio fix verified - github.com/OpenShot/openshot-qt/issues/1069 – “the fix available for daily builds, the v2.5.1 has no this fix included”. This urgent audio fix could be announced, but it can’t be because that Daily is unusable, add or slice and random clips move across different tracks of their own accord, and with increasing odd behaviour errors reported, I think you could suspend Daily’s until 2.6.
Now the audio is fixed and combined with these recommendations would make an excellent interim 2.6, and below are more enhancement suggestions built upon their possible implementation:
Video Preview with frame number and frame stepping buttons
- New Project – With performance improved by a Preview Quality setting, when creating a new project could ask to set your profile before you begin editing as you have recommended.
- Frames & Sections – With frame in the Video Preview could add new frame stepping buttons:
- Effects – If is possible to bring back some of the old effects like Cartoon, Charcoal, Chroma Hold, and Old Film, then could maybe add some new ones like Mirror, Timecode and TV.
- Audio Only – With the audio fixed could now export Audio Only into audio formats e.g. mp3.
- Daily Tips – If the Built-in Tutorial is expanded could add a daily tip e.g. the Previous/Next Marker jump to the start and end of clips you designed, and this would be opt-out.
All this combined could make an excellent 2.6, and a better managed approach is why I have not added all this individually to GitHub. OpenShot has incredible potential but there is serious work ahead. I will happily beta test an interim 2.6 and provide whatever assistance I can in building 3.0.
Cheers, Andrew Bullen B.Bus
15th May 2020 – Urgent Update – Daily Build Details – 50 Basic Flaws – Reviews – Donations
Two recent discoveries are causes for alarm: 1. Ctrl Fault
– Along with other users I have found that the Ctrl-clicking behaves strangely, and just learnt its deselect is broken too - github.com/OpenShot/openshot-qt/pull/3317
- with this comment:
“That file is such a formatting nightmare, it feels like every answer to that question will be wrong. We should really settle on a set of basic repo standards and define them in an .editorconfig.”
I think this reinforces a need for better project management. 2. Latest Daily Build Faults
– After the jpg test fail, I added clips with disastrous results, detailed below:
[Images removed due to reddit 20 image limit]
- Adding a track failed, not allowed to move past align line, had to move Vid-1 and then could move.
- So now had all 4 files in place and ready to test.
- Saved the project to easily repeat the steps, opened the project and it looked like this
- So started fresh, avoided the align line bug, now have 4 tracks again and performed a right slice.
- This was the result.
- Undo performed, and another issue not a single undo but 3 undo’s 1 for each event, the result.
- Removed and reset everything again, even Playhead at the same point, and repeated the slice.
- A different result.
- And repeated the undo, another different result with clips vid-3 and Vid-4 in different positions.
Trying to replicate the fade transition I found it is broken now, moving either clip slides under the other and the transition is hidden behind them, so I cannot move the Playhead along the transition to show the immediate opacity change from 100% to 0% on the last frame of the transition.
[Image removed due to reddit 20 image limit]
Add Track Button –
The green Add Track + button does not work. I did not test any further.
OpenShot 2.4.4 Released - March 20 2019 - openshot.org/blog/2019/03/20/
- “After giving more than 10 years of my life to this project and this community, I am finally working full-time on OpenShot. … It felt great to actually see the validation of why a more rigorous testing plan is necessary.”
I understand Daily Builds may not pass through the same testing regime, but a rigorous testing plan that does not detect the simpler errors so far or the 50 Basic Flaws in the next section is a concern.
Plus while updating - openshot.org/developers/
- that build has stood for 4 days (AWST). May 11, 2020 7:12 a.m. Daily Build
Curious why the major GitHub contributor Frank Dana (ferdnyc) - github.com/ferdnyc
- is not listed in the team, but it is very welcome news to see a new forum support member and Matt is excellent.
50 Basic Flaws
This is a list of 50 basic flaws encountered using the main interface and basic operation of OpenShot version 2.5.1. This does not cover any advanced editing such as keyframing and animations, nor the Properties, Effects or Transitions windows. This is followed by an expansion of the Ctrl-click errors.
- Windows – Config folder .openshot_qt in root instead of AppData\Local\ folder
- View Freeze – Does not freeze the windows in place, but locks them in place
- Profile – Not asked to select project profile for new project
- FPS – Not shown in list summary for all Profiles
- Import - Dragging media files are sorted based on the media file clicked on to drag
- Sort – Media cannot be sorted in the Project Files, e.g. by clicking the column heading.
- Sort on Restart – After restart, the Project Files remain out of alphabetical order
- Thumbnails – Built from first frame, if black then no thumbnail, other Apps seek ahead
- Shift-click – Works to select multiple files in Project Files, does not work on the Timeline
- Audio – Some audio files are imported as video files, and severely impacts performance
- Image Sequence – If click No must click through every image, if click Yes OpenShot crashes
- Image on Timeline – Images cannot be stretched to the left
- Name change – In the Project Files, but uses original filename on Timeline
- Split – Split clip name in the Project Files, but uses original filename on Timeline
- Timeline – Unused track and clips look similar, confusing when zoomed, in No Theme too
- Timeline Trimmed – End space created by edits and now unused is not trimmed
- Tracks - openshot.org/features - “Tracks can also be moved up, down” - they cannot
- Drag – Dragging multiple clips to the Timeline it only accepts 1 clip.
- Undo Drag 1 – Undo drag to timeline takes 2 undo’s, 1) moves to top track, 2) removes it
- Undo Drag 2 – Sometimes it instead moves it to the track below in step 1
- Undo Drag 3 – Sometimes it refuses to undo at all, and the clip does not move
- Moving – Big distance clip move rejected, more than once, must repeat in smaller moves
- Alignment – Even after snapped with blue line do not align completely with pixel differences
- Alignment – Sometimes blue line / snap visible gap to edge, after zoom is gone, and aligned
- Overlap Zoom 1 Second – Clips snapping together overlap 1 frame
- Overlap Zoom 7200 Seconds – As above, results ranged from 4 to 21 frames
- Selected – In some actions when right-clicking the previous clip is left still selected
- Transition – Fade transition does not fade out (Have not checked other 400)
- Transition – When drag preferred down over existing, it does not change just adds it on top
- Mouse scroll – Keyboard shortcut to switch from zoom to up down track has been removed
- Razor tool – No keyboard button shortcut, the Snapping button beside it does have one
- Slice – Select clips on multiple tracks and select slice it only slices the clip you clicked on
- Undo Slice Both Sides – 3 undo’s: 1) restores left piece, 2) unknown, 3) right piece removed
- Undo – Reinstates each event, 10 clips removed with 1 click takes 10 undo’s to correct
- Stretching align – No aligning blue line
- Stretching snap – No snap
- Stretching transition – No transition, stretched clip goes underneath and none created
- Transform – Blue dot corner points do not maintain aspect ratio, nor when holding Shift key
- Audio Separate – Multiples Channels – As channels 1 & 2, not left & right and cannot rename
- Audio Volume Increase – Not offered in right-click Preset Menu
- Audio Volume Decrease – Once set is not highlighted in Preset Menu so unsure of setting
- Effects – Drag Onto – Does not open the Properties window
- Effects – Icon Left Click – Does not open the Properties window
- Help – Dialog boxes question mark help icon does not work
- Title – Font size does not work
- Rewind – Key press does not work, plays and must be pressed again to rewind
- Frame – No timeline or preview window frame number for exporting based on frames
- Preview File – Does have the frame number, but for that individual video
- Export Audio Only – Output is a video file with audio only
- Audio Crackling – In exported files
Multiple selections (CTRL + Mouse) not working
Expansion of that error. Demonstration requires setting up 3 small clips on a track.
Mouse - Select them all using the mouse:
- Press the delete key - they will all be removed.
- Right-click on any clip and select Remove Clip - they will all be removed.
Ctrl-click - Select each clip with Ctrl-click:
- Press the delete key - only one clip will be removed, the last clip ctrl-clicked on.
- Right-click on any clip and select Remove Clip:
- If you right-click on the last clip ctrl-clicked just it will be removed.
- If you right-click on another then both it and the last clip ctrl-clicked will be removed.
This flaw also applies when copying and then pasting clips or pasting effects and keyframes.
Ctrl-A works, and selects them all, for delete key, and above pasting. But not for right-click Remove Clips, as that only selects Clips or Transitions and deselects all the other type previously selected.
Two Painful but I think Necessary Reviews 2.5 Years Ago – An Honest Review Of OpenShot Video Editor - youtube.com/watch?v=YCKKyqQPkqQ
This was one of the first reviews I found and thought it was the result of a recent windows porting but found the Kickstarter referenced for Windows development was launched in March 2013.
Walter M replying to OMG Offers - “I had the same issues as the guy in this video with an i7 quad core with 32gigs of RAM and two NVIDIA 970s in SLI, also with SSDs. OpenShot IMO as a software dev is the worst public release I've seen in my 14 years in the IT field. I'll tell you this, if I released something this buggy at work I'd be fired. The UI looks nice but my gawd the program crashes constantly and has more bugs than a Brazilian rain forest. The worst part of it all is the dev/devs who started this back in 2009 did a kickstarter at some point and basically scammed people out of money. It is 2018 and still as buggy as ever. These guys should be ashamed of themselves.” 6 months ago – ferdnyc - github.com/OpenShot/openshot-qt/issues/221
Again, reading GitHub threads there is often developer confusion and comments like this one.
“If I had my way we wouldn't even bother with all of this terrible code just trying to tease arbitrary sets of filenames out of a directory full of random who-knows-what.” and “(And despite the horrible method the current code uses for doing this, if you have a complete list of the filenames, generating the prefix is actually really easy. All you need is the filename from each end of the list.”
Audio crackling is a constant complaint, and one I found too when adding an mp3 track to 2 video clips, and repeated my steps in Shotcut, VSDC, and Sony Vegas without the issue. You acknowledged the fault - reddit.com/OpenShot/comments/ay125z/audio_issues_on_exports/
- with workarounds that “will remove crackles for the most part” but that didn’t solve the issue for the user back then.
The “award winning” refers mostly to awards won nearly a decade ago - openshot.org/awards/
May I suggest you could perhaps be very considerate of your target market of inexperienced video editors when offering them an “easy to use, quick to learn” product that under the surface is quite flawed, as this letter shows, including a known audio issue that can effectively render it unusable, and while still claiming it is “award winning” from many years ago, when asking them for money.
With these latest revelations I would recommend you could:
- Withdraw this latest Daily Build and fix the jpg issue in a previous working Daily Build.
- Announce that build as the audio fix in the Forum and on the website Downloads page.
- Suspend all Donations and Daily Builds until an Interim 2.6 is built.
An Interim 2.6 could also include all the initial easy fixes and additional enhancements, fixing the Ctrl-click issues and the bulk of the 50 basic flaws except where they form part of the new 3.0 UI e.g. the timeline track themes and colours.
I will happily thoroughly beta test an Interim 2.6 for you.
16th May 2020 - Latest Build Is Worse - Reddit Sticky
3 new Daily Builds. I was already concerned they are often released within minutes of each other. May 15, 2020 9:15 a.m. Daily Build
I think that concern was justified as this is worse, the slice appeared to be fixed at first glance, but did not take much further testing for it to fail, but is even worse, this build has added even more erratic behaviour, removed functionality, and now zoom causes clips to move of their own accord.
[Images removed due to reddit 20 image limit]
- After the same issues aligning tracks finally got 4 in a row and were zoomed at 15 seconds.
- Clicked the zoom button to step to 5 seconds to replicate previous build test, this was the result.
- The transition is still broken, but now adds them to saved projects e.g. that 4 track above saved.
- and to slices e.g. 3 tracks of clips all aligned to start on the first frame, with a slice of both sides.
- Odd behaviour and functionality removed, empty space blue align line, and no Thumbnail View.
However , the Ctrl+Shift+D keyboard shortcut works. This is just as small sample of the erratic behaviour encountered when simply adding and slicing tracks. Again, I did not test any further.
New sticky - reddit.com/OpenShot/comments/gkgf71/tips_for_getting_you_openshot_assistance/
- is excellent, and as suggested this is very much needed, but some quick feedback follows:
- Point 4 – “First step, check here to see if it's covered in our user guide .. If it is not or you can't find it, no problem. You can ask for help here by doing the following.” – Leaves out the 3 other possible first steps I suggested – FAQ, Search Reddit and GitHub, and the Tutorials.
- Point 1 – “wait a few hours, then try again with a FRESH copy of the installer.” – Daily Builds?
- Point 3 – “unleash the graphics card power” – Linux primarily offering Hardware Acceleration makes that an issue - reddit.com/OpenShot/comments/gl0p72/hardware_decoder_mode/
Also Matt is posting the potentially export altering profile change ‘fix’ - “try reducing the resolution of the project for editing purposes” - reddit.com/OpenShot/comments/gk51up/video_laggy/
17th May 2020 – Latest Build – Call for Volunteers
With 3 new Daily Builds and hoping for fixes I tested the May 16, 2020, 11:36 a.m. to find everything still broken, with the next marker for keyframes navigation added on the 15th close with the Playhead movements accurate but sometimes not clip aligned. An addition I found checking the Changelog. Changelog 2020-05-16
I understand Daily Builds may offer the latest and therefore possibly unstable features, but these last few builds look like failed tests that impacted large parts of the software being released to the public. I have to say I think cowboy coding is an issue. It might explain some of the issues in this letter, why there appears to be minimal structure or standards, perhaps why it won awards when developed by a small team, but compounds everything as OpenShot has grown bigger and more open source.
Or maybe it is just Windows. But I checked the May 11, 7:12am Build again and found the Thumbnail View, keyframes, and standard next marker jumps were broken, and I think the Changelog shows on top of that build you then merged the keyframe_navigation_as_marker pull request, when:
- Audio Crackling – An issue for 4 years - github.com/OpenShot/openshot-qt/issues/167
- 3.0 UI – Keyframes and navigation are slated as part of an upcoming complete UI overhaul
The marker keyframe navigation is cool, and maybe all this has a bigger picture explanation, but I do find it concerning when a long overdue, urgent and available audio fixes official release is needed.
Considering these recent discoveries, may I suggest you could:
- Focus all development on a version 2.6 that fixes the audio
- Have that audio fix thoroughly tested, perhaps by a few respected users too
- Once it has their seals of approval make it public
Then could restart development and maybe could consider my suggestions in a 2.6.1.
Call for Volunteers
Just saw the call - facebook.com/openshot/posts/10158037924737870
– and there is great potential for OpenShot and think I could really help and would be interested in joining the team.
19th May 2020 – Video Preview Tutorial
Matt has just uploaded a tutorial - How To Fix Stuttering Video Preview OpenShot - reddit.com/OpenShot/comments/gmi93p/how_to_fix_stuttering_video_preview_openshot/
I found the following two issues: 1. Scale Property of None
This is a big concern. As have explained if using the Scale Property of None and then changing back to the preferred resolution it may change the video layout and this ‘fix’ should not be recommended. Instead the Preferences > Preview could be changed to offer an actual preview quality setting.
Matt said, “I promise you it will not affect the performance or the outcome of your produced video.”, but in my experience with 2.5.1 it does affect the outcome of my produced video. My understanding is that neither the Project nor Export Rendering are scaled to suit a chosen different Profile like other video editors. Instead it is simply put in the chosen Profile, and so depending on how the clips were positioned relatively in their prior Profile their position may change. I asked about this in my emails. The Video Preview does not offer a kind of ‘applies-to-all’ editing but is tied to the current Profile.
To demonstrate this, I used the following 2 profiles that are identical except for their resolution: 2 profiles that are identical except for their resolution
I started the project with the 720p 29.97 fps profile, and imported this YouTube video – The Basics (Part 2) | OpenShot Video Editor Tutorial - youtube.com/watch?v=6PA98QL9tkw
- after it had been converted using Handbrake to a constant 29.97 fps to ensure identical statistics. atest video with a constant 29.97 fps to ensure identical statistics
I used 2 tracks with the same clip on both, but sliced in different places to easily identify each clip –Track 2 – Slice Keep Right Side at 00:05:40:01 & Track 1 – Slice Keep Right Side at 00:04:00:01 – and then only moved the clips using the Location X Property and swapped between the 2 profiles.
Both clips Scale Property set to Best Fit
- Both clips Scale Property set to Best Fit.
The top Track 2 clips Scale Property set to None
- The top Track 2 clips Scale Property set to None.
Both clips Scale Property set to None and Location X -/+ 0.26 to leave a small gap
- Both clips Scale Property set to None and Location X -/+ 0.26 respectively to leave a small gap.
Changed the Profile to 480p and can see the layout changed and now they overlap
- Changed the Profile to 480p and can see the layout changed and now they overlap.
Adjusted the Location X Property again this time -/+ 0.38 to recreate the gap in between
- Adjusted the Location X Property again this time -/+ 0.38 to recreate the gap in between.
Changing to the 720p Profile or Exporting to the 720p Profile both produced this video
- Changing back to the 720p Profile or Exporting to the 720p Profile both produced this video.
Same applies if increase the Profile resolution, same as before, 720p with a small gap
- The same applies if increase the Profile resolution, same as before, 720p with a small gap.
Changed the Profile to 1080p and the layout changed, differently, and are now far apart
- Changed the Profile to 1080p and the layout changed, and differently, and are now far apart.
I wanted to include a full demonstration of my concerns with profile changing, as I had seen that recommended in many other posts and tutorials too, and I hope that my understanding is correct. As you say here - https://cdn.openshot.org/static/files/user-guide/profiles.html#project-profile
- “The project profile is used when previewing your project and editing. The default project profile is “HD 720p 24fps”. It is best practice to always switch to your target profile before you begin editing.
For example, if you are targeting 1080p 30fps, switch to that profile before you begin editing your project.” and that could be moved from the end of the User Guide to the beginning. That quote was one of the first things I added to my reddit forum OpenShot signature.
The Video Preview window could include the preview quality setting. I just copied the frame box but could be handy to change it easily using the Up or Down buttons, and balanced it out with an icon to open Video Preview full screen in a second monitor, and rearranged the buttons to centre Play. Video Preview window with preview quality setting 2. Vimeo
The video is uploaded to Matt’s Vimeo account, instead of the OpenShot YouTube account. I read reddit does not allow embedding YouTubes but a single location for all tutorials could be better.
Some quick YouTube suggestions:
- User – Could move to an official OpenShot channel instead of JonOomph. If openshot cannot be acquired under trademark infringement - support.google.com/youtube/answe6154218 - then could use something similar e.g. OpenShotVideoEditor.
- About – Could change the web address and add Social Media links to display in the header.
- Channels – Could include other sites that help e.g. Geekoutdoors and Sk WebStudio.
- Introduction – Could add an introductory video and text blurb.
- Network – Could link with other great like-minded YouTube channels, e.g. Film Riot is great but does focus on professional movie making and Adobe products Premiere Pro and After Effects. Could find other cool video editing channels that are more suited to new users.
- Tutorials – Could create new tutorials like Sk WebStudio that demonstrate what OpenShot is easily capable of when combining editing, effects, and other free software too. This one is brilliant and really opened my eyes to opportunities - Character introduction freeze effect - youtube.com/watch?v=QsvrAMtYrh8 – and an opportunity to teach how to use Inkscape.
Latest Daily Build
May 20, 2020, 3 p.m. – Checked this latest Daily Build and the add track button, adding clips, moving clips, slicing clips, and creating transitions are all still broken.
I hope this helps and I look forward to talking to you soon.
Address List for open discussion:
have been emailed the complete PDF OpenShot Team u/jonOomph u/ferdnyc u/extradudeguy Respected OpenShot redditors u/rabbithasacat u/USATechDude u/TheOneTheyCallAlpha u/Jaylen9421 u/Nerdotronn u/Tizaki u/tonycocacola u/JustSomeFatBastard u/aslickdog u/The_ET_Letters
--------------------------------------------- OpenShot Tips
Project Profile - The default project profile is “HD 720p 24fps”. It is best practice to always switch to your target profile before you begin editing. For example, if you are targeting 1080p 30fps, switch to that profile before you begin editing your project.
To switch use Menu > File > Choose Profile. Clip Properties - A clips properties are set in its first frame, otherwise you will create a keyframe
, you can quickly move the Playhead there using the Previous or Next Marker orange arrows above the Timeline or the Ctrl + Left or Right arrow keys. Tutorial - How to Export Small Sections or Ranges of Your Project OpenShot Tutorials
Teacher's Tech - Great Introductory 30 Minute Guide
OpenShot - Watch Tutorial Videos
Geekoutdoors - Excellent Tutorial Series
Sk Webstudio - Includes Cool Effects Tutorials